I was looking for titles that would best suit a blog and considered, “my mandrake root” because of an old John Donne poem I learned when I was 24. Don’t ask me why; my reasons are convoluted.
Today I learned that the mandrake root (mandragora) has some hallucinogen properties and are typically known for:
- being used in magic spells
- can resemble human parts
- thought to have chemical properties to make a woman more fertile to bear children
- was used as an allusion in ‘Harry Potter’ (screaming mandrakes, whose scream noone can bear, to cure petrification)
- mentioned in the OT when Rachel asked Leah for mandrakes in exchange for a night with Jacob.
- referred to in the OT as a ‘love plant’
So there you have it. And it’s pretty self explanatory that I didn’t want to name a blog site after a hallucinogenic and fertility inducer.